Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My cats legs are weaker than usual, she has trouble jumping,

Customer Question

my cats legs are weaker than usual , she has trouble jumping , she is 8 years old , we have been giving her greenies over the holidays , could that be the issue , she is eating her food and drinking water normally though
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 11 months ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Cleo. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

I would be surprised if weakness and trouble jumping was caused by her getting Greenies. I have not heard of that before, and it is not reported as a side effect in cats in the many years that cat Greenies have been on the market.

If she were mine, I would try to learn if she has a neurologic problem (weak in her legs because of a problem with her nerves or spinal cord) or an orthopedic (joints, bones, muscles) problem. Blood clots in her legs could also make her have trouble jumping.

I would start with a complete physical exam: look at her gums, listen to her heart, feel her pulses, test her reflexes, palpate her internal organs and lymph nodes, feel her joints and spine.

It is good she is eating and drinking. If her gums look pink, not pale, that is also a good sign. Can you take her temperature at home?

Does she go outside at all, and could have been injured without your knowing it?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 11 months ago.
Hi Lea,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Cleo. How is everything going?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 11 months ago.

How is Cleo doing?