Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My 19 month year old rescue cat is congested and snezzes all

Customer Question

My 19 month year old rescue cat is congested and snezzes all the time ? What can I do for him! Now I have tried mixing a baby aspirin into tuna juice and it seams he knows its in there and won't eat it. And we've tried everything to give him meds. And it's a battle that we lose can you help us help him. Skyler
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has he had these signs?

What other medications have you tried?

Are you seeing any nasal discharge? Is it clear or snotty/green/yellow?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
About 5 months, and we've tried, allergy tablets crushed and mixed in tuna juices. And the nasal discharge very snotty all colores
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

First, I am very glad that Dex refused the Aspirin. This is not a cat safe drug and could cause more harm then good. As well, they aren’t indicated for his upper airway infection. In fact, if the discharge is snotty, that is actually a red flag that this is bacterial in nature and therefore antibiotics are indicated to clear this. Use of antihistamines and anti-inflammatories alone just won't settle bacterial infections (just as they won't for us either).

So, in Dex's situation, he really needs to see his local vet so that they can dispense antibiotics (as they are the only people who can legally do so). Otherwise, we can be more proactive with supportive care to ease his signs for him.

To start, since he is sneezing, you can take him in the bathroom while you run a hot shower. The steam will help loosen and clear some of the snot congesting him. It also will help reduce irritation in the upper airway. You can also use a baby nebulizer/humidifier, but often cats don’t like things held up to their faces (but you can often make little ‘steam tents’ with the kitty in their carrier with these and a sheet).

If he is building up mucus that the steam isn't shifting, you can use a cotton ball moistened with warm water to wipe away crust and mucus. Furthermore, you can use saline nasal drops like Ocean Mist or Little Noses (but not anything medicated) to further reduce discharge build up. To do so, just tilt his head back and drop 2-3 drops in one nostril. Cats hate this, but it helps. After the drops go down, you can let the head up and wipe away any discharge that gets loosened. Then repeat with the other nostril.

As well, making sure he is getting food and water is important, as congested cats who can’t smell their food often won’t eat as well as they should. Therefore, if you see any decline in his normal appetite, do consider tempting him with smelly wet foods (since they are high in water). It may help to warm it up a bit in the microwave to help him be able to smell it.

Finally, since feline herpes virus is a common infection that can cause flu flare ups (and could be primary with the bacteria being secondary), you can consider trying him with L-lysine. This is a nutritional supplement that can help them recover quicker if this virus is present. This is available over the counter at pet stores, vets, online, and heath food stores. They tend to come as powders, gels, or crushable tablets that can be mixed into food. An average cat dose is 500mg a day.

Overall, we are very lucky that Dex refused the aspirin since that could have caused serious issues here. Still, with the snotty discharge that is a red flag of bacterial infection. So, the above is indicated as supportive care but we do really need to get him onto antibiotics to clear this for him.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)