Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

Their on the outside and have scabs on them

Customer Question

their on the outside and have scabs on them
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 11 months ago.

Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with dogs and cats. Thanks for contacting us tonight.

From my end, this is the only info I see on your question, "Yes their on the outside and have scabs on them".

Could you please give me a little more info on what is happening with Pp? I'm not sure what info you are looking for, but I'm more than happy to chat until we get it sorted out :)

~Dr. Sara

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I would like to know what could cause this and is there something over the counter to put on it. It doesn't seem to bother her.

You would like to know what causes what? Scabs on a cat's skin?

~Dr. Sara

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
You know I think I've made a mistake doing this. I don't feel your able to help me. I hope I haven't been played. ( ripped off)

Well, that's a very broad question that I'm afraid I can't answer without some more information like how long those sores have been there, whether there is any hair loss, and also, of course, what they really look like.

Scabs sometimes are just a product of small traumas - just like with you and I. I see plenty of cats with small healing scabs that are of no consequence - they got scraped or otherwise hurt by something and the scab is their body's way of healing.

I just see your next reply - please allow me to type out the rest of my thoughts for you.

~Dr. Sara

Any photos that you can upload of these scabs could also be very helpful

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I don't know how to upload a picture

When cats have an allergic reaction to something, it can cause a reaction that we call miliary dermatitis. With miliary dermatitis they develop very small scabs all over their bodies. Frequently it starts around the neck and cheeks and/or the tail base, but it can spread across their entire bodies. Unfortunately, they can be allergic to a very wide variety of antigens from pollens to dusts, molds, and fleas. Fleas are a common one where I live, although this depends on your geography. A cat with flea allergy can have tremendous scabs and significant hair loss just from the bite of one or two fleas.

The easiest way to upload a photo would be to use the paperclip icon at the top of the text input box. You could also upload it to a photo sharing site like flickr or google photos and then post a link here.

To get back to your original question: what could cause scabs on a cat - lots of things. LOTS :) Most frequently traumas, fleas or allergies.

I typically don't recommend putting anything topically on them, as it ends up just getting licked off by the cat and ingested. Truly the best way to find out what those scabs are is to have her examined in person by a vet. Is this just one scab that you're seeing or lots of them? Is there any hair loss?

~Dr. Sara