Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

My cat ate some cooked chicken bone but only little

Customer Question

Customer: my cat ate some cooked chicken bone but only little splinters and i didn't see if she chewed them well, we have no vets near us and the closest is 5 hours away!! i'm really worried what should i do!
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: she is a female kitten and has recently recovered from being ill
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: ok
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 11 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry for this concern for your cat but this sort of thing does tend to happen a lot. Fortunately, stomach acid can help soften the chicken bone/splinters and in most cases, if not a huge amount was eaten, then they will pass through the stomach and intestines with no problem. They might cause irritation as they are passing through which might result in looser stools for a day or so but this usually quickly resolves.

We don't recommend trying to induce vomiting since the bones could cause damage to the esophagus or become lodged there which could potentially worsen the situation.

I would feed her canned or semi-moist food if you have it which could help coat the bones and perhaps help increase transit time if you feed her more than you normally would.

More than likely, she'll be just fine but if she should start vomiting and/or becomes lethargic and/or doesn't want to eat, then a vet visit would be prudent.

I hope this helps to reassure you about her. Deb