Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

Very sick Guinea pig, think it is an uri. Our vet does not

Customer Question

Very sick Guinea pig, think it is an uri. Our vet does not open til 8am & no local animal hospitals. Offering water by medicine dropper & holding him on my chest for comfort. Anything else I can do?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

Now if he is congested with an upper respiratory tract infection, then we do need to be careful with giving water. Some can aspirate fluids into their lungs or stress taking water due to not having a breath to spare. So do take care with giving that.

Otherwise, in regards ***** ***** care until his vet opens, you can try steam treating him to clear his airway and help him breathe easier. To do so, take him in the bathroom while you run a hot shower. Or you can also use a baby nebulizer, but often they don’t like things held up to their faces. Therefore, we can make a little ‘steam tent’ with Munchy in his cage, a humidifier nearby, and a light bed sheet over both to make a little steam room for him.

Otherwise, if we want to tempt him to eat, you can use favorites but also veggie baby food can be helpful. We can even crush his pelleted diet into it to make it more balanced for him. Again we'd want to take care syringe feeding but this may be fine enough to help him eat as well as get some fluids in.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )