Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

We recently rescued a cat about 3-4 months old. She didn't

Customer Question

We recently rescued a cat about 3-4 months old. She didn't eat last night or today. She has thrown up and there is some worms in some of the vomit. Just now there was some fluid that came out of her rectum. It did not look or smell like feces. We were able to get some worm medicine in her within the last few hours. Since then she has thrown up, but there are no signs of worms. I don't know if all of these symptoms are due to the worms or not. My other cat had worms and he did not exhibit any of these symptoms.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 11 months ago.

Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with cats and dogs. Congratulations on the addition to your family :) I'm sorry that she's not feeling entirely well tonight. Please allow me 5-10 minutes to type up some thoughts for you. You can reply with additional questions or thoughts at any time.

~Dr. Sara

GI parasites can definitely cause a cat to have an upset stomach, vomit, and have diarrhea - especially if there are a lot of them inside her. There generally have to be quite a few for a cat to vomit them up. It takes multiple dewormings to rid a cat of all GI parasites since the deworming medications can only kill the adult worms actually in the GI tract but not the migrating juvenile life stages that have yet to become adults. Once the medication kills the worms in the GI tract, they will pass in the stool, so be expecting her to pass some within the next 24 hours or so.

Unfortunately there are other things that can cause a young kitten to be ill with vomiting and diarrhea (I'm going to call it that, since we think it came from her rectum). The one that I worry about the most is panleukopenia or cat distemper. It's a very contagious virus that can cause life threatening vomiting and diarrhea in cats. They can go from completely normal to life threateningly ill in a matter of 24-48 hours. Since she's vomited worms, I'd definitely put the GI parasites on the top of my list, but if she's very lethargic, hasn't eaten for greater than 24 hours or is unable to keep anything down (keeps vomiting everything up), then I'd suggest that you seek emergency care for her. Even if it is just the parasites, a little supportive care can go a long way toward getting her better again. Please let me know what other questions I can answer for you given this info.

Thanks!

~Dr. Sara

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)