Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My cat yesterday seemed odd. He was sitting up and looked

Customer Question

My cat yesterday seemed odd. He was sitting up and looked dazed. 5 minutes later he was on the kitchen floor sideways and looked like he was breathing odd almost like a seizure. I picked him up and he hacked one time, like a cough, but more liek a hack. He let out a big meowwwww when i picked him up. I ran to the car and he sat on the seat next to me while i went to the hospital. His breathing was less and less, and 3-4 minutes into my drive he passed away. i got to the hospital 2 mins later but it was too late to save him. What could have happened ? Moo was only 2 1/2 years old. He had a very slight heart murmur as a kitten, but we were told it went away almost. He did NOT eat a plant, we have no chemicals out because we have babies, and he is an INDOOR ONLY cat. He had no control over his body and couldnt walk when i picked him up. He looked like he was dying, and he was. He didnt vomit at all, no foam at the mouth. no diarrhea, nothing. he simply just died. What do you think happened ? I want to know if its anything we did wrong. I am so devastated,
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I am so sorry to hear what happened to Moo. My sincere condolences. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

If he had a heart murmur, it still could have been a heart problem, like the young athletes that drop dead playing sports. An undetected heart problem can cause sudden death.

Another cause of sudden death in cats is a blood clot to the brain or lungs. Heartworm, although rare in cats, is another cause of sudden death.

Only an autopsy could tell you for sure why he died. My deep sympathy for your loss. Let me know if I can help with or answer anything else.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

How are you doing? Did this help at all, or at least answer your questions?

I am so sorry for your loss.