Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My cat has not been grooming herself lately and is only

Customer Question

my cat has not been grooming herself lately and is only eating small bits of her food. after she ate she was constantly licking her lips and she has a runny nose. is this a cold or could it be something worse?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Nikki. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

What kind of exotic cat is Nikki?

When an older cat is eating less, and not grooming, that tells me they are not feeling well. It could be many things: chronic kidney disease, pancreatitis, heart disease, infection, pain, and unfortunately) cancer. Licking her lips could be nausea, or it could just be her liking at the discharge from her nose. The runny nose could be a viral infection, bacterial infection, a polyp in her nose.

If this is a "cold" she might have a fever and that could cause her not to eat. Can you take her temperature?

If you look at her gums, do they seem pink in color?

At her age, I would have her checked by a veterinarian as soon as possible. Until then try to keep her hydrated by offering water, milk, tuna juice, broth. You can try children's nose drops like Little Noses for the nasal discharge.

Let me know what other questions you have, and if this was helpful.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

Did you see my answer? Can I help with anything else?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Hi Hayden,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?