Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

Morning our cat 20weeks feel from a height and is now

Customer Question

Customer: morning our young cat 20weeks feel from a height and is now limping on her back leg. She can lift it and is still grooming, eating and toileting, only caling out if she tries to scratch herself using that paw. There are no foreign bodies, and i witnessed her hard landing
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: she is sleeping, eating, toileting, but reluctant to place her back paw to the floor and walks with a wiggle to compensate putting pressure on it. She is still purring when stroked, not purring in pain or suffering when still
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Cat Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

The extent of trauma experienced by a cat is one of the most difficult things to assess in an online forum such as this. Do you see swelling anywhere on the limb - which might indicate fracture? Is there asymmetry when you look at her hips - which would indicate dislocation? In general, I need to carefully palpate the entire leg, flex and extend each joint, and extend the legs in back of her to see if there's a disparity in the length of her legs (indicating dislocation +/- fracture). Aspirin (NOT ACETAMINOPHEN/PARACETIMOL) can be dosed at 20 mg/kg just once and can be of value for a simple soft tissue injury such as a bruise, sprain or strain. If you didn't see a positive change from the aspirin and the tincture of a week's time, her vet will need to examine that limb as I described. X-rays may be recommended.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.