Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

My cat has a puffy eye ( only one eye ) seems to be like

Customer Question

Hello, My cat has a puffy eye ( only one eye ) seems to be like pinkeye but has persisted for 2 weeks. I have beein giving her eyedrops these last 2 weeks, but it seems it hasn't helped the condition. Also she has now started to jerk her head slightly often.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 11 months ago.

What is the name of the eyedrops?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ophthalmic Solution eyewash

So, this is not a medicated eye medication from a vet office?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No, I was told to try this first and come back if it did nothing.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The head twitch/jerk is what is alarming me. As they did not warn me this could happen, So I'm wondering if there are multiple things happening or something a bit more serious.

Absolutely, you must get in to a vet. 2 weeks is far too long to wait. An eye wash is just that, a eyewash.

It has no steroid for inflammation, and definitely has no antibiotic benefit as well.

In addition the eye has now become puffy. There is also a very real possibility of a corneal ulcer or other trauma or scratch on the surface of the eye. This can be easily tested for at a vet office with a simple eye stain test.

But, its critical to get proper eye medication ASAP since Loki has been uncomfortable for quite awhile.

No clue about the head twitch. I would get a little video recording of it on your cell phone and make sure to also show to the vet. It very well could be associated with eye pain.

Wish I could do more. Vet visit is a must, with any vet, and I would go no later than tomorow.

Hope that information helps

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
well, the twitch happen more often (from what I can tell) when she yawn or other facial expression.

I have got to suspect, considering the eye has persisted for awhile and now with swelling, that it is playing a role in the twitching that is being observed. It will be interesting to note if what you are observing acutely resolves with treatment of the eye.

Also, at this point, I would not be surprised if the vet also recommends starting an oral antibiotic in addition to a eye topical medicdation as well.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Alright, thank you.

You are very welcome. Good Luck.

So, in summary, possibly some eye medication, oral antibiotiics, and maybe a simple eye stain test to ensure the corneas are okay.

I hope my responses have been satisfactory.

One more thing. Do not use anymore eye wash. We don't want it to mislead the vet about how the eyes look. If any excessive discharge builds up, just lightly wipe away with some eyewash on facial tissue. But, no eye flushing.

Good Luck

Hi Nima,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?