Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

My 14 year old cat is suddenly very lethargic, no appetite

Customer Question

My 14 year old cat is suddenly very lethargic, no appetite and is having trouble walking has had a thyroid issue with vomiting.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 11 months ago.

The trouble walking is a very serious concern. Issues that could cause difficulty walking include dehydration, high blood pressure and/or sight issues, overall weakness.

Not surprised by the poor appetite if there is also vomiting.

To help the stomach you can give a 1/4 tablet of over the counter Pepcid A.C. regular streongth 10mg antacid every 12 hours. But! That is not good enough for Smudge. This combination of symptoms is well worth veterinary examination, and I strongly support an ER trip under the circusmtances.

Smudge very well needs intravenous fluid therapy, as well as, some good medication to help the stomach.

Basic testing should definitely include a basic blood and urine test.

Hope that information helps

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Wondering if it is renal failure ...
Slow breathing.. No appetite
Very unstable when she walks..weak muscles.. lays on floor most of time

Yes. That is a absolutely a differential for these symptoms and at this age. A basic blood test will easily determine if the kidney are involved.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Has vomited sporadically on a regular basis....her dr put her on prednisalone for hyperthyroidism but this is different
Don't want to put her thru a barrage of tests for no reason..

No. Prednisolone is a steroid. That was not for thyroid problem. The treatment for hyperthyroidism is a drug called tapazole or methimazole.

She is quite ill. The testing is very important so you can make a informed decision if her quality of life is poor and if euthanasia should be considered.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for your time and honesty
We truly appreciate it

Absolutely. You are very welcome.