Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

I'm actually just looking to my cats death. She had

Customer Question

Customer: Hi I'm actually just looking for answers to my cats death. She had pneumonia and I thought she would survive but she was dead within an hour of bringing her to the vet.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: She was actually a stray and normally would not let you go near her but she was so listless and she let us take her to the vet. She had trouble breathing and just laid there. He took xrays and determined it was pneumonia. I don't think they acted quick enough. They went to give her intravenus and she died.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Cat Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Sure
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 11 months ago.

I am so sorry to hear about your cat's death. My sincere condolences.

My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Cats with fluid in the lungs, with respiratory distress can be easily stressed and die. Was she breathing with her mouth open when she was taken to the vet? Were her gums pale in color, or pink?

Often by the time we realize a cat is in respiratory distress, they can be down to less than 25% of air filled lungs. If they get stressed from a car ride, an Xray, any restraint, or an exam by a veterinarian, the increased demand for oxygen can't be met; there are no lung reserves, and death can happen quickly.

I can't tell you for sure this is what happened, without seeing the Xrays or tests that showed pneumonia. I do know that these cats can be very fragile and hard to save. An autopsy would probably tell you why she died.

I am so sorry she is gone. Let me know what other questions you have.