Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of experience in small animal internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

I have a female cat about 5 to 6 years old and the last

Customer Question

I have a female cat about 5 to 6 years old and for approximately the last month she has been having lose stools at least 5 times a da. It is a cre***** *****ish color and she is fed indoor cat food by Purina.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am currently not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Any pre existing medical conditions?

2- Is she losing weight?

3- Any other symptoms?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No preexisting conditions
She doesn't seem to be losing weight
It seems she can't make it to her litter box quite a bit also
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Friend, the increase in frequency to defecate and loose stool is consistent with inflammation of the colon (large intestines), she has colitis. This can be caused by many different medical conditions. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: Diet, parasites, auto immune (IBS), infections, or even part of a systemic disease to name a few causes.

In this case, I would recommend a hands on examination with family vet, xrays, fecal analysis and blood work as initial screening test. Treatment will be based on exam and test results. In the meantime, this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium.

2- Change her diet to rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) until the stool is back to normal then wean her back into her regular diet.

3- Supplement with a probiotic (fortiflora), these are friendly bacteria that help with regularity and inflammation. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination. If cost is a concern look into your local ASPCA or Shelter where they often offer veterinary services at a lower cost.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Peter