Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My cat has been not coming to me when I call m. He loves

Customer Question

Customer: my cat has been not coming to me when I call him for brushing. He loves that. He is hiding. He has sudden head jerks and when walking is unbalanced.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: It started a couple days ago. When I pulled him out from under the bed he cried. I was gentle
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Cat Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 11 months ago.

I am sorry you are worried about your cat. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

How old is your cat? Is he eating, and drinking?

When you look at his gums, are they pink in color or pale?

Could he have eaten anything he should not: drugs, medication that fell on the floor? Gotten into the trash?

Sorry for all the questions! Since I can't see and examine him, the more information I have the more I may be able to help.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
10 years old. Yes he is eating and drinking. His gums are pink
Expert:  Rebecca replied 11 months ago.

Good that he is eating, and that his gums are pink.

It sounds like something is affecting his balance, or nervous system. Is it at all possible he ingested something?

If you look at his eyes, are the pupils the same size? Are there any unusual eye movements?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
He doesn't eat anything else but dry cat food. Not even table scraps. his pupils are the same size. If something was on the floor he would just sniff it
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
everytime I pull him out from under the bed he goes right back. When I was brushing him this morning he wasn't purring.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 11 months ago.

I am pretty worried about him if he won't eat, and is showing signs of a neurologic problem (head jerks, unbalanced walking). If I could, I would do a complete physical exam to try to determine where the problem is: test reflexes, listen to heart and lungs, palpate internal organs and lymph nodes, etc.

Can you get him to a veterinarian today?

Until you can, keep him quiet and see if he will drink anything like water, broth, Pedialyte or even milk.

Let me know how he is doing and what other questions you have.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 11 months ago.

Can I answer anything else? Are you able to get him to a veterinarian to be checked out, and treated?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 11 months ago.

How is your cat today?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 11 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?