Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

My cat has a large mass on s upper chest on the left side.

Customer Question

My cat has a large mass on his upper chest on the left side. He has been walking funny and lost some weight within the last week. I didn't feel or see the lump last night but it is unnoticeable now. What could it be
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 11 months ago.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for Bub.

Well, unfortunately, there are many differentials. It could be a fatty tumor (lipoma), cyst, sebaceous growth that comes from the glands in the skin, a cancerous tumor.

So, what next?

If the vet is unsure, they may recommend a simple fine needle aspirate test of the mass.

Fine-needle aspirate test is performed usually without anesthesia and is very quick. Your veterinarian takes a few needle samples from the lump (the needle is no larger than the needle used to give vaccines). The sample is smeared on to microscope slides and submitted to the laboratory. It is not always as definitive as a biopsy (this is a full tissue sample), but often it can yield enough information to help guide you and your vet as to whether a biopsy is needed, or if surgery should be performed.

Hope that information helps

Hi Jeannie,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?