Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of experience in small animal internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Please advise me on what I need to do to help my cat.

Customer Question

Please advise me on what I need to do to help my cat. He's 4 and just ate a non wired 18 inch ribbon.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 11 months ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am currently not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has it been since he ate the ribbon?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
15 minutes

Friend, the options are taking her to the nearest ER veterinarian and they will be able to induce vomiting. Ideally this should be done within 2 hours of ingestion. Or, you can change her diet to rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%). The idea is for the rice to bind the ribbon and help pass it in the stool. It is important that you check the stool for the ribbon. If she doesn't pass it within 48 hours I would have her checked by family vet for xrays with barium.
4- If during the next 2-3 days you see the following symptoms: lethargy, anorexia, vomiting, constipated or diarrhea, etc. follow up immediately with a veterinarian. These are all signs of potential obstruction of the intestinal tract. In the meantime, observe and change diet as above then wean back into regular diet.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter

I'm just following up on our conversation about Sebastian. How is everything going?
Dr. Peter