Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

L have just brought home a 12 week old kitten. She was

Customer Question

Hi l have just brought home a 12 week old kitten. She was bright and alert to begin with but is refusing to eat. She is drinking lots of water. She has vomited and had some diahorrea; however also had solid poo too. I've tried her on raw food which is what she was being fed on, whisk as and chicken & rice. She has refused it all. I also tried her on tuna and she eventually had a little. I've had her two days now. Energy levels vary.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 11 months ago.

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 16 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

This sounds quite concerning for your kitten. There are many possible causes for her symptoms which are unfortunately vague. She could have a viral infection (such as panleukopenia or feline infectious peritonitis) or it could be a bacterial problem from being fed raw food (such as campylobacter, salmonella, etc) or a parasitic problem (giardia, tritrichomonas) or a foreign object she ate stuck in her system or a congenital problem (organ failure, electrolyte issue, glucose issue) and the list continues. I so wish I could narrow down this list but as her symptoms do not point to one particular problem it will take a bit of testing to determine why she is having these signs. As well, I worry a LOT about her becoming dehydrated, even though she is drinking pretty well.

The absolute best step for her is to have her examined on emergency followed by some laboratory testing (such as a complete blood count, chemistry profile with electrolytes, urinalysis and stool check). This would help to narrow down what might be wrong. And, your veterinarian could then administer some treatment that will help her improve. Prescription medication is going to be more effective to treat this than anything I can recommend over-the-counter.

As a side note, I highly recommend you not feed raw foods. There is a huge risk, especially in a very young cat, of a long list of over 30 infectious diseases that can come from this. Even treated raw diets for cats are at high risk for these problems. Instead, offering cooked white rice and chicken is excellent as well as canned meat products. People baby food of the pureed chicken variety is often tempting. When none of that works, it indicates she is sick enough this is an emergency. Our young kittens do not have much reserve to go for longer than a few days without eating well.

I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please let me know if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Joey