David Janssen
David Janssen,
Experience:  Veterinarian, owner at West Side Veterinary Clinic
15552883

One of our cats has a eye. How do I treat?

Customer Question

one of our cats has a pussy eye. How do I treat?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  David Janssen replied 11 months ago.

Hello, and thanks for writing in. I'm sorry to hear that your cat is dealing the the bad eye...

There are different causes for eye drainage like you are describing, such as an infection (i.e. viral or bacterial infection), conjunctivitis, a scratch or abrasion on the eye, an irritation (such as if something got hung up under one of the eyelids...

The hard thing is without knowing exactly what the underlying cause is, it makes specific treatment more difficult, since there are different medications used to treat these different causes. Different medications can include antibiotics, antivirals, antibiotic eye drops, antiviral eye drops, cortisone eye drops...

With eye problems, we never recommend waiting, since they can get worse quickly, and then be harder to treat. Also, if the wrong medication is used, that can also potentially make an eye problem worse. So, getting him examined by a veterinarian as soon as you can would be ideal, to determine the underlying cause, and to start the most appropriate treatment...

If you are unable to get him looked at right away, you can use warm compresses on the eye area (with eyelids closed). You can use a warm washcloth held on the area for a couple minutes, and do this a few times a day, as this can help soothe the area. The only safe eye "medications" I can recommend without an exam, would be plain saline or distilled water - you can gently flush the eye with these a couple times a day to help flush away discharge, and to moisturize and soothe the eye. I would also wipe away any discharge that builds up around the eye, so the surrounding skin does not start to get irritated. Then, try to get him seen by a veterinarian as soon as you are able to.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Dave