Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of experience with domestic and exotic cats, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
17018043

Cat is restless and cries occasionally. Going back and forth

Customer Question

Cat is restless and cries occasionally. Going back and forth to the cat box. Difficulty going to the bathroom. This just started this afternoon.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 11 months ago.

Hello! Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to hel pyou

Typically the cause of sudden decrease in using a litter box is a urinary tract infection. Cats who have been using a box properly that now urinates improperly often has discomfort in their bladder. The sudden stinging sensation that comes along with bladder infection or disease causes a sudden need to urinate right away and often causes the cat to associate a painful bladder with the litter box. The surprise sensation causes a cat to suddenly urinate right where they are. A quick urine test by the vet can determine if it's sterile inflammation, an infection, or urinary crystals causing the problem and then prescribe the proper treatment. Once the discomfort goes away 95% of affected cats start using the litter box properly right away.

I hope this helps, if not please feel free to ask more questions.

Dr. Dan