Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of experience in small animal internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My male Maine Coon (22.5 lbs, 11 yrs old) has been throwing

Customer Question

My male Maine Coon (22.5 lbs, 11 yrs old) has been throwing up every couple hours; initially food and after that a white liquid; he appears listless and different and keeps throwing up just when I think he has stopped. I do not have live plants; he is indoors only and I don't think he has eaten anything to cause this. It is late tonight and our emergency location is not close to me.
Can you give me an idea what I can do until the morning when I hopefully can get him to my vet.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 11 months ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am currently not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Any pre existing medical conditions?

2- How long has this been going on?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No. 1 - No
No. 2 - About 5-6 hours, but spaced every 1 and a half hours; he has thrown up 5 times since 5PM; it is now 10PM.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Are you responding soon???

Friend, in any case of vomiting the first thing to do is give the gastrointestinal tract time to rest. This is what you can do until he is seen by family vet in the morning:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start him on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/4 tablet every 12 hours. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 10-12 hours. Need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 10-12 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It is too late for me to go to my pharmacy; I have already left a voice mail with my vet for the morning. I will remove all food and water until then.

Remove the food and water as described above.

Please reply if you have additional questions.

Expert:  Shayne-cssm replied 11 months ago.
We received your customer service inquiry, however, we are unable to respond to you because we do not have your email address.
Please contact customer support at***@******.*** and provide us with your email address and a link to this question page so that we can help you.
http://www.justanswer.com/cat-health/9h11o-male-maine-coon-22-5-lbs-11-yrs-old-throwing.html
Thank you, ***** ***** Customer Support Team.