Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

About 12 wk old. Having signs of seisures.

Customer Question

about 12 wk old. Having signs of seisures.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Why haven't I had an answer by now?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It has already been 20 min.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not a very good service if you ask me. Just refund my $31.00
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

HI this is DRB and I would be happy to assist you with this. So my biggest concern would be Toxoplasmosis. Have your vet treat your kitten with Clindamycin. Usually a 3 week course if required to help with Toxoplasmosis. There are many things that can cause seizures including Rabies which is unlikley. But in a kitten with normal times in between seizures I would worry about Toxoplasmosis. I have treated this many times with good results. If that does not work have your vet use Doxycycline for 2 weeks in case your kitten picked up tick borne disease. Your vet may be hesitant to use Doxycycline but I would ask for it any way. It can discolor a kittens teeth but that is a minor worry in my opinion.

I hope this helps you. Sincerely, DRB

Please hit rate my service as that is the only way I am compensated. Thank you very much.

Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

I just answered your question. Do you still want a refund?

Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

Since I have not heard from you I am going to opt out of this questions. Sincerely, DRB

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

Dr. B is correct to consider toxoplasmosis but the feline infectious peritonitis (FIP) virus is the most common and clinically significant inflammatory disorder in the central nervous system of cats accounting for 48% of cases of infectious neurologic diseases reported in cats. Neurologic signs can be seen with both the effusive ("wet") and the noneffusive ("dry") form of this disease, but the dry form appears more commonly to involve the central nervous system. Signs referable to cerebellomedullary involvement are most common, but seizures may also be evident and have been reported in up to 25% of cats with histopathologically confirmed FIP. Unfortunately the antemortem diagnosis of FIP can be extremely challenging and requires a high index of suspicion, especially in those patients with no obvious systemic involvement. There is no treatment and these cats are invariably lost. Please continue our conversation if you wish.