Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

My 16 yo cat has been vomiting stomach secretions until now

Customer Question

My 16 yo cat has been vomiting stomach secretions until now when she vomited red blood.
she is listless and extremely unhappy. What could be wrong?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 11 months ago.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Gracie. There's rarely just one thing wrong at her advanced age. There are too many possible etiologies of vomiting to list in this venue but neoplasia (cancer), and both renal and hepatic insufficiencies are very common in geriatric cats such as she. Both gastrointestinal disorders and systemic disorders that affect the gastrointestinal tract need to be considered. Hematemesis (blood in the vomitus) may have resulted from a particularly forceful vomit which ruptured capillaries in her stomach or esophagus or can represent severe inflammation and/or ulceration in her stomach or esophagus. It's a dangerous and possibly life-threatening symptom.

Gracie's vet will want to see Gracie at your earliest convenience. I would expect a thorough physical exam to be performed including diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests. The need for imaging such as thoracic X-rays and abdominal ultrasound would be predicated upon the results of her physical exam and diagnostics. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I heard her vomit when the blood came up. It was NOT a particularly forceful vomit at all.
she appears to me to be dehydrated, as her skin is sunken in, and she is listless, has no energy. Cancer was a scare thought I had on my own. I just lost my dog last year to cancer. It seems I may be losing my 3 geriatric animals all in a row, as I just lost the 2nd one in Nov. Now Gracie is suddenly ill. I am planning on taking her in to the vet today.

Thank you for the additional information. I'm pleased to hear that Gracie will be attended to shortly. I can't set a follow-up in this venue and so would appreciate your returning to our conversation with an update - even after rating - at a time of your choosing.

Hi Patti,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?