Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My 6 month old cat was neutered this afternoon and he is

Customer Question

Customer: my 6 month old cat was neutered this afternoon and he is acting strange..he was fine when we arrived home at 6pm, he slept, at a bow he is just lying with his eyes closed andit, drank water, is greatly disturbed by the e-collar and he was just howling, staring at the wall, not responding much and disturbed by our touch. Now he is acting very lethargic. Is this normal?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Now he is breathing a little heavy
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Cat Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 11 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for your question.

This is not a normal recovery after a neuter. I would try taking the e-collar off first to see if it's just "e-collar paralysis." Some cats won't move with it on. Most cats will leave the neuter site alone, so they don't need a collar.

If his signs continue over the following hour, then I would get him rechecked. This could be from your vet (if they take calls) or an ER vet in the area. It could be a pain issue, but I would want to rule out an internal bleed, reaction to the anesthetics or even a urinary blockage. These can all be evaluated at the physical exam.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.