Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My cat, Baby, about 4 years old has been lethargic, not

Customer Question

My cat, Baby, about 4 years old has been lethargic, not eating, drinking some but not a lot, won't play with my other cat for 2 days, He felt very hot earlier tonight but is cooler now. He obviously does not feel good. He just sleeps. or sits. He does not seem to have pain and lets me pick him up but doesn't stay for long (which is not real unusual). A couple years ago he had a bladder infection and was fine after the antibiotics. Has had no problem since. I've not been able to observe him going potty but there was less to clean out of the box this am - I have 2 cats - but with not eating that is not necessarily alarming in its self. Of course this happens on the weekend but I work tomorrow and it is hard to take off so not sure how long I should wait to take him to the vet.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:

Has he been passing urine at all since you posted this question?

Any straining like he needs to go but doesn't? In the box or odd places?

Are his gums nice and pink (not white/pale)? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, does he have any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Could he have eaten anything he should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?

Any retching, gagging, lip licking, drooling, or vomiting?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi Dr B, Thank you for your response. Baby is better, thank gawd! I will answer your questions below but first I have mixed feelings on my experience with Just Answer this time. Just Answer advertises that a vet is waiting to answer yet it took many hours to get an answer. Your apology helped deter my upset but I was so concerned. Also, the last time I was on here it was $18 and now $40! I almost did not do it because that is outrageous for an email, not even an exam. Venting done.I feel your answer was very caring and I appreciate that very much. Now to answer your questions.Has he been passing urine at all since you posted this question? I've not seen him. I have noticed urine not covered up in the box which is very unusual.Any straining like he needs to go but doesn't? In the box or odd places? Not that I have seen. There was a wet area on the carpet and I thought I had a leak but could not find any place it was coming in. It did not smell like urine but it has rained again and no wet spot so I don't know.Are his gums nice and pink (not white/pale)? Moist or sticky? light pink, seem kind of dry, not stickyIf you press on his belly, does he have any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain? noCould he have eaten anything he should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)? It is possible but not likely as he is very particular in what he eats. He will not even eat things I try to give him; the opposite of my Siamese who will try almost anything.Any retching, gagging, lip licking, drooling, or vomiting? I did find some orangeish vomit with small bits in it which was unusual. He throws up a lot more than the Siamese and it is usually the food he just ate. Cats don't seem to chew much so it is always exactly like what came out of the can or bag with some liquid.He is eating small amounts now and moving around. He met me at the door yesterday when I came home which he hasn't done in a few days.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Hi Lynn,

I am glad to hear that Baby is doing better. Before we continue, let me note that the charge is actually whatever you set it as. We as vets have no control over that. In fact, any vet aiding you doesn't actually get any credit/compensation unless you leave feedback. Therefore, any cost/financial issues here are not something we handle or have any say about. So, that is something to speak to customer service about. As well, while I do sincerely ***** ***** one was available when you posted, that too is out of my power (though I do try my best to be available as much as possible for the people in need).

Anyway, that all aside, since the cost is a concern, he's been seen, and is better; we do not need to continue unless you wish to. So, please let me know if you did have any more questions I can help you with or if you would prefer I referred your question back to customer service for a refund.

Take care,

Dr. B.