Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

I have a 10 year old female cat and a 8 year old male. I

Customer Question

Hi I have a 10 year old female cat and a 8 year old male. I just adopted 2 male cats (about 9 months old each) who were feral and homeless. So they have been on my house for about 4 months and my female cat is not accepting them. She hiss at them and is now chasing my older male cat who is very sweet and does not stand up to her. the last couple of days I noticed she is now peeing on the guest bed. It all started with the new cats and I just don't know how to get her to accept them and calm down. I have to lock them up during the night so they stay away from her and during the day we keep a double high baby gate up in our bedroom suite to give the older cats space. Its a house divided. My intention was not to keep the kittens but Although I found homes for 4 of the liter and their mom - I still have these two. The older cat having the issues of female and the cat with the seniority of the house.... a couple of people have told me to just lock her in a room with the kittens but she is really stressed out.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 11 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am sorry to hear about your kitty situation! It sounds like your older female is experiencing some anxiety issues due to the new additions in the house?

Expert:  Jess K replied 11 months ago.

Can you tell me if you have tried anything with them already at home?