petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

I have a 14 year old cat that is in pain and wont eat. what

Customer Question

I have a 14 year old cat that is in pain and wont eat. what should I do
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  petdrz replied 11 months ago.

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and Buddy today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy work with you but need a bit more information in order to better assist you if you don't mind.

Can you tell me what pain meds you are currently giving and how long have you been giving these?

Have you seen him pass a stool since yesterday?

What is he doing that makes you think he is painful? Does he limp or have reluctance to jump?

Thanks and I will respond further after you reply. There may be a slight delay while I formulate and type a thorough response or I may be offline, but if so, I will respond as soon as I am able.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The pain med that he is on is called Carprofen Chewables. and the antibiotics are amoxitabs
Expert:  petdrz replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for the reply.

I am not sure how long he has been on the carprofen, but it does have the potential in some pets to lead to GI upset, so if the refusing food is a newer symptom and if the pain meds are a more recent addition, the two could be related. If he has a lot of arthritis pain, it is sometimes managed better with multi-modal drug therapy. This means multiple pain meds on board so as to keep all of the doses lower and less likely to cause side effects. I would not recommend that you give him more of the current pain medication.

It is also possible that the antibiotics could be affecting his appetite as they frequently do. If they were just recently added and if the anorexia is recent as well, you could try to discontinue them for 24 hours and see if his appetite improves.

Finally, it is possible that his acting hungry and not eating has nothing to do with pain or effects of medications he is taking. Some cats with GI disease, like inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) will exhibit symptoms as you describe. If this behavior continues , he may need to have a GI work up.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.

Dr Z

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Could you go into more detail on what a GI work up is
Expert:  petdrz replied 11 months ago.

Sorry for the delay in response.

The GI tract is not easy to evaluate as even when there is significant disease like inflammation or even GI cancer, there may be no abnormalities noted on exam, bloodwork or even abdominal xray. There is a specific GI blood panel that can be requested and if abnormalities noted, can lend support to either pancreatic or intestinal disease. An ultrasound may be helpful to identify if there is intestinal thickening, but thickening can be due to inflammation or cancer, so if noted, the only way to differentiate is with an intestinal biopsy. This can be done via endoscope, but is better performed with an exploratory surgery. The problem with this is that many cat owners are not willing to pursue the diagnosis by these means. It is for that reason that many cats are "suspected" to have IBD or GI cancer as the cause of their weight loss and anorexia once all of the other easy to find things have been ruled out.

Expert:  petdrz replied 11 months ago.
Hi Rene,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Z.