Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

We have raccoons to come to our house nightly. And one of

Customer Question

Hi we have raccoons to come to our house nightly. And one of the mothers just had a two babies I think there are about 4 months old. One of the babies tail is completely hairless. We've watched it go little by little. Catching or trapping them is not an option. Is there anything I can put in their food to help this hair grow back. Don't know if it's mange or some other type of parasite
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 11 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. It is quite possible that this baby racoon has something like mange or that it has a bad case of fleas. Unfortunately, there isn't something to safely put in his food to treat this issue. Without examining him we do not know what the cause of the hair loss is, and without being able to weigh him, we don't know how much of a given medication he would need, and since he is coming to eat with his family, there isn't really a way to feed a specified amount of any medication to him alone.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi Dr Keay, I can isolate the food to one raccoon she's been coming alone with her mother. I've heard of this drug that ivermectin should I give that in wet food in a small dose? End of business will it go away
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I meant to say if it is mange will it go away autocorrect
Expert:  Jess K replied 11 months ago.

If you can isolate her and estimate her age accurately, it may go away with the ivermectin but may require several treatments. I unfortunately don't have a dose for ivermectin in racoons and can't seem to find one in my formulary, I will opt out of your question and see if someone else may have that info for you.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you Doctor.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi is anybody going to help me with this?
Thank you Dr. Keay. And happy new year is somebody else going to pick up this question or am I on my own. Again thank you for your help