Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

My cat is gagging etc as though something is stuck in s

Customer Question

Customer: My cat is gagging etc as though something is stuck in his throat.. not sure what to do
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I have been aware of it for about 2 hours. He appears to be uncomfortable, unable to settle. Every now and then he gags. Earlier he ate some dry food and forced it up i.e. he was sick. But no grass.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Cat Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Hmm - easier said than done. I'm in Sicily. In between his discomfort he is settled. All I want to know is whether I can wait until the morning before going to the vet?
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. To understand better if there is urgency here I need you to do a few things for me...

1) Please check your cat's gum and tongue color. They should be nicely pink - not whitish (anemia) or bluish/greyish (hypoxia/lack of oxygen to his tissues).

2) Please assess his respiratory rate at rest. He should be taking less than 40 breaths/minute at rest.

3) Please take his rectal temperature. Any body thermometer will do when placed 4 cm into his rectum for 1 minute. Normal is 38-39.2C. This is a two person job!

Please let me know what you find.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As there was no reply yesterday evening, I called the vet.
Just answer appears to be much more about sucking one into spending money than offering what could really be a god-send service.