Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

11 year old female cat has been spotting She was. Fixed at

Customer Question

11 year old female cat has been spotting
She was. Fixed at least 8 or 9 years ago.
Help
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.

Spotting? Do you mean areas of urination? Seeing blood?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Seeing spots of blood
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.

Understood.

Well, for a female at this age, I must be very very suspicious of a urinary tract infection. However! To get the infection, at this age, there is often a underlying predisposing condition like kidney disease or hypethyroidism (elevated thyroid hormone) that causes the urine to be more dilute and get the subsequent infection.

So, without question, I believe this is well worth a vet visit and I would go today.

Another differential would be idiopathic cystitis. This is a sudden onset of inflammation inside the bladder that we believe can be stress-induced and is common. It is not due to stones, infection, cancer, etc...But, at 10 years of age, the consideration for infection goes higher on the list.

A basic blood and urine test can answer many of these questions. Plus, with the spotting blood, I know Mama is uncomfortable. The vet will likely start pain medication immediately.

Hope that information helps