Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

Over the last two days my one year female cat has eaten 4

Customer Question

Over the last two days my one year female cat has eaten 4 tablespoons of wet food and a tablespoon of yogurt (her favorite treat). But is withdrawn and has spent last two days in her favorite box in the garage. She did go outside yesterday and she is refusing water. Our vet is closed till Monday. Thanks.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 11 months ago.

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 16 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

This does sound concerning for Eloise. Unfortunately her symptoms are vague and could indicate one of many possible issues ranging from infection/abscess to viral issue to ingested foreign object and the list continues I wish I could guess on the cause but to know would require an examination followed by some lab testing, if the problem was not obvious based upon an examination.

Since she is nibbling food, what could you try at home to see if you can get her through until your veterinarian is open on Monday? If she was my patient I might recommend you try:

1) Offer her favorite foods. Bring out the canned meat items like tuna or canned salmon or even canned chicken. You can also try home cooked white rice and boiled chicken breasts (chopped).

2) Give famotidine 10mg at ½ tablet every 24 hours for nausea. You should be able to find this medication at any pharmacy over-the-counter. It has no bad side effects and does a great job to settle stomach acid and reduce nausea.

3) Probiotic supplementation: The yogurt you are already using is excellent.

4) If she is allowed outdoors, please keep her inside.

I regret that I can't be more specific for you but I, too, would need to perform the physical exam and testing I mentioned above to be able to know what's troubling Eloise.

I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please let me know if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.