Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

I noticed my male cat scooting across the rug with s much

Customer Question

I noticed my male cat scooting across the rug with his butt much like dogs do when they have worms or a parasitic infection. However.he gets flea treatment regularly and I haven't seen any evidence of worms. He is outside most of the day but is not a hunter of birds or rodents. Is this a concern? I've only noticed it once. Thank you
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

It's more an old wives' tale than fact that scooting as you've seen is due to worms. This misconception arose because people can contract the very itchy pinworms which can cause small children to "scoot" in their chairs. Cats don't contract pinworms. The exception to this involves their passing tapeworm segments which might be itchy. You would see those segments, however, as 1/4" wiggly worms which dry up to appear as grains of rice.

In most cases, scooting is simply an attempt to "scratch" the anus which might be fecal soiled or itchy secondary to atopy (allergies to environmental allergens such as pollens, molds, dust, and dust mites, etc.) or a food intolerance. One event shouldn't prompt investigating this further. If scooting continued, cleansing Mr. Tux's anus with mild soap and water and then applying a thick film of an over the counter hydrocortisone cream 2-3 times daily should suffice. Mr. Tux might wonder what in the world you're doing but just tell him it's for his own benefit...

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?