petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

Our cat seems to have an injury in her lower back leg. She

Customer Question

Customer: Our cat seems to have an injury in her lower back leg. She can barely hobble. The leg dangles. She has been sleeping mainly but enjoys her food which we bring to her. We also have set up a low litter box and help her to get to it. Everything is closed til Monday due to the holiday weekend. She is about 11 years old and is not that active now except for short forays outside.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The leg might be broken. The paw is swollen but there there is no bone showing or any wound. How can we tell without hurting her? Can we wait until Monday to take her in?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Cat Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Hmmm - not keen on putting my credit card on a site that I don't know anything about.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  petdrz replied 11 months ago.

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy work with you.

If there is no visible sign of a fracture, there is no way to know if one has occurred without an xray. If the leg is dangling and there is swelling, there very likely could be a fracture. From the standpoint of pain and possible repair, it would be better if you were able to have her seen before Monday. I would seek out emergency services sooner, even if that means you would have to drive a distance to have her seen. There really are no safe over the counter pain medications that can be given to help relieve her discomfort.

I you would provide me with your zip code, I would be happy to try and help you locate emergency services in your area.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.

Dr Z

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi,We found a veterinary clinic open today and took our cat there. She is totally irrational at the vet's so they had to sedate her to do a proper examination. Turned out to be a puncture wound which was quite badly infected which explained why she could not put weight on it. They cleaned and drained it and gave her a shot of anti-inflammatory/ant-biotic. We got an oral antibiotic into her a short while ago and will continue with that twice daily for a week. She is a lovely cat except when needing any treatment but we think she will be ok. - Thanks
Expert:  petdrz replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for the update. An infected puncture wound is much better than a fracture.