Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

Dilemma - my cat is 16.5 years old diagnosed with

Customer Question

Dilemma - my cat is 16.5 years old diagnosed with hyperthyroidism but good kidney function and good liver function. The hyperthyroidism medication changes her personality a depressed, distant, unresponsive and hides in the wardrobe - basically all round miserable. Off the meds she is cuddly, purrs, goes out in sun, has a gray unity of life. Am I being cruel choosing quality of life bs misery by electing to not medicate her?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Which thyroid medication did you try?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi,We tried tablets that made her really down, I don't have the bottle anymore but we then tried methimazole cream in the ears twice a day which didn't do much for her hyperthyroidism levels and also made her quite ill at ease. She also started to get blood in the faeces and a gooey tar like mucus faeces quite regularly on the medications. I just couldn't cope with how I'll she seemed on them vs quality of life off.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Hello again,

First, if she reacted in that manner with her stools (which tells us she was developing bleeding stomach and gut ulcers) the you are right to want to avoid the Methimazole.Though I would note that if the Methimazole didn't agree with her, you can consider trying her on the alternative thyroid medication Carbimazole. Some cats respond and have less issue with this one when Methimazole doesn't work for them.

Otherwise, I would just note that there are non-tablet based treatments that could also be an option here for Jasmine. One that may be ideal for her is the thyroid management diet Hills Y/D (More info HERE). It comes as a wet and dry diet and its low iodine blocks the thyroid from overproducing thyroid hormone. Feeding this means we cannot give her other treats or tid bits, but if she accepts the diet then it can be a great option to manage her condition without medication.

As well, hyperthyroidism can also be treated surgically (since removing the overactive thyroid obviously prevents it from producing too much thyroid hormone) and is something that is commonly done for kitties. Finally, another potential option to consider with Jasmine would be radioactive iodine. This s a procedure a number of practices and vet schools offer where she would receive one injection of radioactive iodine to kill off those extra thyroid hormone producing cells in the gland. It is very safe and cats only have to be hospitalized 7-10 days for this now. So, those two could also be options to get around her needing medication.

Overall, I agree that Methimazole isn't for Jasmine. Still, I would be reluctant for her to have no treatment at all since this condition will cause not just those thyroid signs you have seen but will damage her heart (causing hypertrophic cardiomyopathy) over time. Therefore, I would suggest these other options to avoid the Methimazole but also manage this so she can be comfortable and with us for as long as possible.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** way better information than her vet has given us. I really appreciate you taking the time to reply!!
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

You are very welcome, my dear.

I am glad that I could shed some light on other treatment options for her. :)

Best wishes for Jasmine and yourself,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.* Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

** Please remember to rate my service when you are satisfied as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you today. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you