Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian
Experience:  7 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
21779527

I have an elderly cat who cannot keep food down & is

Customer Question

I have an elderly cat who cannot keep food down & is dehydrated. I know he is very old but his there anything I can give him for nausea !
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is***** I have been a small animal veterinarian for 13 years and I'd like to help with your question.

The nausea associated with kidney disease in older cats can be helped by a few things. Most of them are things that you will have to got to your veterinarian for. First, fluids to help combat the dehydration can help with the nausea. The fluids would need to be given IV or under the skin. I understand that for many people this isn't an option due both to the expense and the trauma to your kitty that it entails.
There is an antinausa medication call cerenia that can be given orally and does help. You should be able to contact the veterinarian that diagnosed the kidney disease and ask for it. They should give it to you as long as they have see Tyler pretty recently. If not, they may need to see him to prescribe it. The only other thing that can help a little is Pepcid A/C. Kidney disease can damage the lining of the stomach so reducing the acid can help some. Pepcid A/C is Famotadine 10mg. He can have 1 tablet once a day.

I hope that helps, but if you have additional questions please let me know. If not, please rate my answer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can cats take Zofran!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can cats take zofran
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 1 year ago.

Because Zofran is a prescription and I haven't seen your cat I can't recommend that you use it, but I can tell you that some people do use it in cats.

Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 1 year ago.

The usual dose is 2mg per cat every 8 hours as needed.

Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 1 year ago.

It doesn't have very many side effects, but can cause low blood pressure. For very small cats I would start with a lower dose (such as 1mg per cat) to see how it effects them.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Which meds would u try first, & how long to wait for a response before I try an emergency clinic.
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 1 year ago.

The best thing that you can do is go to an emergency clinic. This is because the fluids are going to do him more good than anything else and you need to go to a clinic for that. If an emergency clinic were not an option then I would try the zofran and pepcid both.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 1 year ago.

Best wishes!

Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 1 year ago.
Hi Terry Dodson,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Stacy