Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

I took my 10 year old diabetic Keeshound to the vet on

Customer Question

I took my 10 year old diabetic Keeshound to the vet on Tuesday for lethargy and labored breathing. Dr. prescribed medication for anemia, urinary infection, and lethargy. But, he still has not eaten much (only a few bites) over the past few days. He is drinking and urinating but has not deficated. His back legs are weak and needs assistance to get up and struggles to lay his self down. Is there any home remedy to assist him with his lack of appetite and bowel movement until I can get him to vet tomorrow?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 11 months ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Bear. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Were any blood tests, or Xrays done when you took him to the vet?

If you look at his gums, are they pale or white, or are they pink?

If he is anemic, that would cause the labored breathing. The only way to treat anemia is to find out what is causing it. Anemia can be from internal bleeding, cancer, bone marrow disease, or autoimmune disease. The treatment is different depending on the cause.

It will help to know if any blood tests were done. Unfortunately, one cause of anemia in older dogs is a tumor on the spleen that is bleeding.

The thing you can do at home, in addition to the medications your vet sent you, is to keep his diabetes controlled ( how much insulin is he getting? Can you check his blood sugar at home?).

There is a Chinese herb called Yunnan Baiyao that can help with bleeding and anemia, but you probably won't be able to get any today. You can find it online and in stores that carry Chinese herbs.

I am very worried about your description of him, and if his gums are pale or white, he may need medical attention. If you can't get him to a vet today, then get to one as soon as possible tomorrow. Let me know about whether blood tests or Xrays were done; that may help me to learn why he is anemic.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Gums are light pink. I forgot to mention pancreatitis. Vet did CPL snap test. Blood glucose, urinalysis. No X-rays.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 11 months ago.

It does help to know the CPL test was abnormal, but pancreatitis usually does not cause anemia. Do you know what his number was, how anemic he is?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 11 months ago.

How much insulin does he get? Can you measure blood glucose at home?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 11 months ago.

How is Bear doing?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 11 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Bear. How is everything going?