Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

I have a 17 year old large tabby. 1, indoor 85% 2.Iams grain

Customer Question

Hi, I have a 17 year old large tabby. 1, indoor 85% 2.Iams grain free adult food. 3. will vomit undigested food at times for 18 months. 4. Getting more lethargic ..5. in the last week is loosing a strip of fur which is quite large 1 1/2 by 8 inches on back. My sister said she
had a similar situation and it was due to nutrient starvation. Vet put animal down. I am out of state in the morning for 6 weeks. I pay to have someone feed and clean the litter box twice a week.. any other Dx possible...Timing not the greatest but never is.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Tiger. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Lethargy and vomiting can be signs of many different things in older cats; some are serious and some are not. Is he drinking more water than he used to do? Is he losing weight?

He could have kidney disease, hyperthyroidism, inflammatory bowel disease, so many possibilities. Normally I would recommend starting with a good physical exam and some blood tests but it sounds like that is not possible for you.

The hair loss may not be too significant. If he has any matted hair, from not grooming as well as he did when he was younger and more flexible, if the mat peels off you see a strip of hair loss like you describe.

If possible, I would have someone take him in for blood tests. If that is not possible, I would just stay in touch with your petsitter while you are gone.

Let me know what other questions I can help with, or answer.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I hope you are able to see what I sent.

Let me know what other questions you have and how else I can help.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?