Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

I have two cats, male and female, who recently when through

Customer Question

I have two white cats, male and female, who recently when through an eye problem which looked as though someone had smeared black grease around their eyes. For awhile, they squinted, but then slowly it went away. The male cat passed the problem from eye to eye and then from cat to cat before it all cleared up. I don't know what it is.
The male cat had a nickel sized furless area along its flank, which steadily enlarged to silver-dollar sized. It has a slight indentation in it, and yesterday it appeared to about a half-inch indentation in the middle of it. A small new one has appeared near the thigh on the same side, and about the same size as the original one was. I can't afford a lot of vet fees as I am living on two fixed incomes, which doesn't have room for expenses like these. Can you diagnose the problems and suggest any natural remedies to get rid of them. Thanks.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 11 months ago.

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 16 years of experience. I look forward to working with you. I apologize for the delay in an expert responding to you.

Sounds like you have two different problems going on here. For the eye issue, this is most suspicious to be caused by the Feline Herpes Virus. It causes the black debris int he corners of the eyes, sometimes even look to be draining from the eyes and also can be in the nostrils. This is highly contagious between cats.

Second, we have the hairless lesions. The number one suspicion for a hair loss spot that seems to be spreading but is not itchy is ringworm. However, with ringworm the skin usually looks smooth with no hair regrowth and is nonirritating to the cat (you do not notice grooming the area all the time). If you do notice a high level of grooming and there is a raised spot, then this is more likely to be something else such as an allergic skin disease issue.

So, what could you try at home if you were unable to have him seen? If the cats have a relapse of the eye issue or it is not entirely resolved, I recommend start them all on a l-lysine supplement daily. This helps a cat fight the virus without any side effects. Here is an amazon link to a product which I trust and know works well; you can get either the powder which is in the link or it also comes in a gel: http://www.amazon.com/Vetoquinol-410633-Viralys-Powder-100gm/dp/B000FULBT4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1451043429&sr=8-1&keywords=viralys

For the hairless lesions, if they are as I described for ringworm, then you could safely try treating over-the-counter with a CREAM made for athlete's foot in people with the active ingredient of either laminal (terbinafine) or miconazole. You apply twice daily. This may take 6-8 weeks to clear doing it this way. If this is ringworm, then remember this is highly highly contagious to people. So please practice good hygiene with handwshing whenever you handle the cats.

Please keep me posted. I am always happy to answer followup questions. You can reply to this question at any time to submit a followup. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. If there’s anything else I can do, let me know – it’s been a pleasure working with you and I hope to assist you again soon! Kindly submit a rating as you exit our chat.