Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My very shy two-year-old Persian male has been acting very

Customer Question

My very shy two-year-old Persian male has been acting very strangely since yesterday. He has been hiding and not eating or drinking nor using the litter box. He has been hiding under a shelf in the pantry and he smells like feces. When I tried to coax him out he hissed and growled. I'm not sure what to do. I have had him for six months and he has never done this!
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr B replied 11 months ago.

HI this is DRB and I would be happy to assist you with this. He is sick and you need to get hie to the vet asap. You need to find a way to get someone to help you or a way to get him out. Cats do not do this unless they are sick. He could have diarrhea and have it matted to his fur. He could have his urinary tract blocked. All I can really tell you is that the signs he is showing is of a sick cat. So please get him to the ER vet asap. Please let me know if I can be of further help. Sincerely, DRB

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I tried to get him with a towel and he was frightened!!! He turned around and bit me and clawed me!!! He ran off and is hiding somewhere. I live alone and have no one to help me!
Expert:  Dr B replied 11 months ago.

I am sorry to hear this.....If your cat bit you you will have to seek medical attention. And try to find someone who is skiiled with cats. At my hospital we actually go to owner's homes and capture/catch their cats and bring them to our hospital for care when needed. We serve many people that also live alone. I would try and locate someone that could catch your cat for you and get him in. You will have to seek medical care for the bite as those can get infected and cause very serious health problems if not attended to. I hope this helps. But please let me know if you need further help. Sincerely, DRB

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Well, I live in a rural area and you must remember this is Christmas Eve!! I do not have access to a veterinary hospital. I guess it was foolish to ask for advice online!! Have a Merry Christmas!
Expert:  Dr B replied 11 months ago.

I do understand all of that. I grew up in a rural area and lived in a rural area for most of my life until recently. All areas whether rural or not have to have veterinary emergency care available 24 hours a day. So some vet in your area is on call. That is a mandated law. You may have to call around. But if you do you will find someone on call. This as I said is required by law. I hope this helps you. And I hope you have a good Christmas. Sincerely, DRB