Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

I have a domestic short hair mixed breed cat about 8 months

Customer Question

Hey I have a domestic short hair mixed breed cat about 8 months old who has a puss like discharge coming from her right eye. We originally noticed it 2 days ago from the left eye it appears to have gotten better in the left eye however ahe is still light sensitive. She does not appear to have any other symptoms. We have recently changed her litter to catsan cat litter lavender scented crystals. Our other cat a male tabby 3 months has no apparent issues. We clean the litter tray once every day. What could this be?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Has she had any sneezing?

Any clouding or hazing of the clear corneal cover over the eye?

Is the pus green/yellow or white?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It is white. Yes she sneezes occasionally. There does not appear to be any clouding.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Thank you,

First, I am glad to hear that the eye looks normal and that the discharge is white. If the eye had had a haze, we'd be wary of corneal issues. As well, if the discharge had been yellow/green; then a bacterial conjunctivitis and/or brewing upper airway infection would have been more suspect.

With those aside and Lola's history, I share your concern that we have a bit of allergy/irritation to the new litter product. Cats are very sensitive to scented items and we can see allergic irritation with items of this nature. And just like us, this is an individual issue, so its not uncommon to just see one cat with signs.

With this in mind, I would strongly advise switching their litter back to remove this from our concerns. Furthermore, to reduce eye irritation and flush out any irritants in contact with the eye, you can rinse her eyes with sterile saline (ie OTC first aid eye wash, plain contact lens solution). This can be done 2-3 times daily and will remove irritants, soothe the eyes, and also help flush out any low grade bacteria creeping in.

Finally, as this sounds allergic in nature, you could consider trying her with an antihistamine. Most commonly we use Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/diphenhydramine-benadryl). A low dose (ie. 0.25mg per pound of their body weight twice daily) can just be enough to reduce that allergic irritation. We like to keep the dose low, since it can cause drowsiness (just like people). And of course, this medication shouldn't be used if your wee one has any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet first.

Overall, based on her signs, it doesn't sound like Lola has infection causing pus in her eyes. This sounds more like an allergic irritation type reaction for her. Therefore, we'd want to stop using this litter to make sure that isn't the trigger. Otherwise, we can use the above to try to soothe her signs. Of course, if you see any green/yellow discharge or this isn't settling, then we'd want a check to just make sure those other issues aren't causing her bother or need addressing.

All the best & happy holidays,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

** Please remember to rate my service when you are satisfied as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you today. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)