Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My cat is having this issue where he'd coomesit on my lap

Customer Question

My cat is having this issue where he'd coomesit on my lap then curve his back as if he had to go do his business and start stomping his feet as if he was crapping, what does that mean?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:

When did Figaro last pass urine?

Do you think he is straining to do so when he does this?

Does he have any tenderness, tensing, or pain when you press on his abdomen (especially between the back legs)?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
He last past urine about an hour ago (4:25 pm est), he passes urine regularly, when he went he went normal, there's no tenderness on his abdomen.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Thank you,

I am very glad to hear that he is passing urine normally, as this can cause odd posturing behaviors and is an emergency when they cannot go. If we can rule that out and provided he isn't passing stool on you nor going less often, then this does support feline joint pain.

Now you noted you have used cat arthritis medicine but not what you have used. If he is just on a feline friendly anti-inflammatory, then we may need to try another or consider adding in a stronger pain relief agent from his vet (ie Bupenorphine, Tramadol, etc) to manage this.

Otherwise, I do also want to note some OTC nutritional supplements that may also be of benefit. First, you could consider trying glucosamine/chondroitin supplementation. This is a nutrient supplement that is available at your vets,pet shops, and health food stores (as capsules, liquids, and even treats). It works by aiding joint suppleness by helping cartilage replenish itself and blocking enzyme destruction of cartilage in the joint. Often we can find this helpful in animals with arthritis. Normally we give kitties 50mgglucosamine + 15mg chondroitin a day per 10 pounds of body weight. So, do consider trying this with him.

As well, we can find fish oil (omega 3+ 6) beneficial for cats with arthritis. This is a natural anti-inflammatory and can reduce inflammation in sore joints. Typically, we will give 90 mg EPA and 60 mg DHA per 5lbs of body weight. So, this too would be something to consider for him (and could help him move stool if that is an issue for him).

Overall, this posturing in this situation sounds most suspicious of back/hip/spinal discomfort. Therefore, we'd need to adjust his pain treatment and support his joints to see if we can stop this behavior and get him more comfortable.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.
Hi Matthew,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
He's doing much better, but still is crouching as if he needed to relieve himself, still goes normally, no tenderness anywhere
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for the update,

I am glad to hear that he is improved and hopefully if you do use those supportive treatments (which can take a few weeks since they are not drugs, per say) we will see him continue to improve.

Take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )