How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Kara Your Own Question
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Category: Cat Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 14883
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867
Type Your Cat Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Kara is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My cat got into my pothos plant day night before last and

Customer Question

my cat got into my pothos plant day night before last and has not been eating or drinking, what can I do?
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 11 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I'm sorry to hear that Cleopatra ate part of a Pothos plant the night before last and now refuses to eat or drink.
This plant is considered toxic by the ASPCA due to insoluble calcium oxalates found in the plant.
Signs of toxicity include oral irritation, including intense burning and irritation of mouth, tongue and lips, drooling, vomiting, and if enough is ingested large amounts of throat swelling and difficulty swallowing.
It sounds like she ate enough to experience irritation and burning, possible throat swelling and difficulty swallowing, which has led to her refusal to eat and drink.
To soothe the irritation I recommend that you give either:
1) Pepcid ac (famotidine) at a dose of ¼ of a 10mg tablet per 5 to 10 pounds of body weight every 12 hours
OR
2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of ¼ of a 10mg tablet per 5 to 10 pounds of body weight every 24 hours
These are acid reducers and should help her feel better. They can be used for several days if necessary.

I also recommend feeding soft foods mixed with water to make eating and swallowing more comfortable. 
If she is refusing to eat even soft foods you can try offering meat baby foods or a bland diet of 2/3 boiled, shredded, white chicken and 1/3 boiled, plain, white rice. You can mix in low salt chicken broth or warm water to make the food softer and easier to eat and swallow.
If she continues to refuse to eat she should see a veterinarian for intravenous fluids and supportive care.
She should start to eat and feel better as the burning sensation resolves but cats that don’t eat for several days can develop liver disease so we do want to keep a close eye on her.
Best of luck with your girl, please let me know if you have any further questions.

Related Cat Veterinary Questions