David Janssen
David Janssen,
Experience:  Veterinarian, owner at West Side Veterinary Clinic
15552883

My cat started having bumps on her body and licking her self

Customer Question

My cat started having bumps on her body and licking her self non stop. Can you tell me what to do and how to help her get relief.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  David Janssen replied 11 months ago.

Hello, and thanks for writing in, Rhonda.

Did the bumps occur suddenly, or have they been coming on over time (days to weeks)?

Are the bumps like scabs, or more just like hives or welts on the skin?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It's been some time that the bumps have been on her body and they are like scabs.

Thanks for your reply. There are a few things that can cause what you are seeing on Pixie, such as skin mites, fleas, allergies, bacterial infection, or a condition called Eosinophilic Granuloma Complex. Typically in a situation like this, a thorough exam is performed, skin scrapes are done to look for microscopic mites, sometimes impression smears of the skin are done to look for organisms (i.e. bacteria), and treatment is discussed, and may include antibiotics, cortisone medication, prescription low-allergen food, among other things.

For now, without a specific diagnosis, you can try using an antihistamine called chlorpheniramine to help with the itching. You can purchase 4mg tablets (they are not a prescription product), and give 1/2 tablet every 12 hours. You can also use a pet oatmeal shampoo, and bathe Pixie every 2 days, if needed, to help with the itching. Leave the lather on her for 5-10 minutes before rinsing her off, for the best benefit. Wiping her down with cool or lukewarm water periodically may also help until you can get her into a veterinarian for more specific treatment.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if I can assist you and Pixie further. I hope you have a Merry Christmas!

Dr. Dave

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank u so much for your answer. Marry Christmas to u and your family.

You're very welcome, Rhonda - glad to be here to help out!

I hope everything goes well with Pixie!

Dr. Dave

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
David Janssen
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Mr. Jannsen, Now that it has turned cold Pixie's bumps have gone away. Now what. Rhonda Conatser

Rhonda,

Without having actually examined Pixie, it's a little hard to say, since I can only go over possibilities as to what the problem may be (may have been).

Since the bumps are now gone, and if Pixie is no longer itchy, she may not need any type of treatment, unless the bumps and itching return.

It still could be a reaction or irritation to something, and then when the cooler weather set in, the reaction/irritation went away. We can see this type of situation periodically on pet's skin. If it happens again, I would highly recommend having Pixie examined by a veterinarian (while the bumps are actually present), for a better chance at getting an actual diagnosis.

Dr. Dave