Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

~
, Sorry I dont understand this thing give me a moment

Customer Question

Customer: HI Dr. ***** *****~
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Hi There! Sorry I dont understand this thing give me a moment My four month old kitten began vomiting last night. She also began pooping a clear mucus. I took her to the vet. They did x-rays and didn't find anything, gave her some anti nausea meds and sent me on my way. That was a 10:30 am today. She is very lethargic, will not eat or drink and while she is no longer vomiting, this clear mucus-y stuff id literally leaking out of her bum. I found some just a moment ago that was pink (as though blood was in it too) and now I am completely freaking out.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Cat Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 11 months ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. The clear mucus-y stuff is, indeed, mucus, which comes from the large bowel (colon) which is rich in mucus glands. Excess mucus production indicates colitis. The pink most likely indicates blood and so the colon is also very irritated and perhaps ulcerated. You can't manage this at home. Your kitten needs to be returned to the vet for supplemental fluid/electrolyte therapy - usually subcutaneously but intravenously if she's failing. Can you tell me, please if your kitten has been vaccinated against feline distemper? If your kitten has been tested for the feline leukemia virus (FeLV) and the feline immunodeficiency virus (FIV)? Has she been checked for intestinal parasites such as coccidia and Giardia which can cause these symptoms?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
To my knowledge, she has received FeLV and FIV vaccinations/testing but not sure about distemper.

Feline distemper can appear as you've described but if she were already tested and vaccinated against those viruses, she would also have been vaccinated against feline distemper. May I have an update on her, please?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The mucus is. But less (yesterday evening it as everywhere, the bed, the floor) and around midnight she began using her litter box to excrete the mucus. She went to her water bowl and tried to drink a little.
She has not eaten. this am there was some mucus hanging from her bottom but there was no evidence she attempted to release it on the bed.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I meant to say the mucus is a bit less

Thank you. Having subcutaneous fluids/electrolytes administered by her vet this morning would be prudent. If she hasn't been wormed that needs to be done as well. A fecal ova and parasite exam needs to be performed but she may not have enough feces in her to test and so the vet may elect to treat for coccidia presumptively with either sulfadimethoxine or, preferably, ponazuril. Please continue our conversation if you wish. Your kitten may need to be force fed with a convalescent easily syringeable food such as Hill's a/d available from her vet.