How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask petdrz Your Own Question
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Category: Cat Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 7267
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550
Type Your Cat Veterinary Question Here...
petdrz is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We took our cat to the emergency vet last night, he had

Customer Question

Hi we took our cat to the emergency vet last night, he had vomited the night before and was not eating or drinking and was sleeping a lot.
The vet gave him fluids and anti nausea medicine and we took him home, at the time his temperature was 105 degrees.
His temperature is now 102.8, he still seems weak but has eaten a few treats and I have fed him some cat milk with a syringe.
Our normal vet clinic is not open until tomorrow, do you think he can wait until then to go and get blood tests etc?
Thanks.
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  petdrz replied 11 months ago.

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and Leo today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy work with you but need a bit more information in order to better assist you if you don't mind.

Did the ER vet have a tentative diagnosis for his fever and other symptoms? Was any testing done? Bloodwork? Xrays?

Was he sent home on any medications?

Overall, does he seem better than yesterday, but just not back to normal yet?

Thanks and I will respond further after you reply. There may be a slight delay while I formulate and type a thorough response or I may be offline, but if so, I will respond as soon as I am able.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi, the ER did not give a diagnosis. They didn't do testing.He seems better than yesterday but not back to normal and his fever has reduced.I want to get some testing done at our normal vet when they are open tomorrow. I just want to make sure it seems safe to wait. The ER was very expensive and they were very overboard. They gave him fluids and nausea meds.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
As he isn't really drinking and will only eat treats, I got some cat milk and have been feeding him that and water by syringe. How often should I do this?
Expert:  petdrz replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for the reply.

If he seems better than yesterday, that is a good sign and the fact that they gave him fluids makes me less worried about him not drinking today, but it is really impossible for me to say if is safe for you to wait until your vet opens up tomorrow as I have not examined him. Perhaps you could give the ER clinic that did a call to update them and see if they have any recommendations until tomorrow.

If he will eat the treats, and keep them down I would keep offering them. I would also continue with the water by syringe every few hours. If you are able to monitor his temperature at home, I would do that a few times a day to make sure the fever does not come back. A normal temperature is between 99-102.5 degrees. If it goes up to 105 again, or he starts vomiting or acting lethargic, it may be best to have him seen sooner versus later.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.

Dr Z

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thanks for your help, one more thing, I got some baby electrolytes with no dye, can I give him some of these?
Expert:  petdrz replied 11 months ago.

You are better off with just water at this time since we don't know what his blood levels of electrolytes are.

Good luck with him and please keep me posted as to how things progress for him.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** :) I will keep a close eye on him and take him to the vet if anything changes. He hates the car so I didn't want to freak him out again if he is starting to recover.Thanks again.Charlotte
Expert:  petdrz replied 11 months ago.

You are most welcome.