Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience treating cats in my practice.
16881297

I have now had a rescue cat a month! I took her from the

Customer Question

I have now had a rescue cat for about a month! I took her from the local vet where a friend works as a vet nurse. She had her tail amputated as the owners ran over it with their 4WD and then didn't want her back. She is about 2 years old and quite sweet. After a couple of weeks we started taking her outside fir short periods and only when we were around. Unfortunately she was attacked by a neighbours cat and the injuries resulted in an abses near her bottom within 24 hours that after treatment and antibiotics is just healing now! We now have the problem of this other cat coming and terrorising her at out screen doors. Thus always ends in her urinating all over the floors and she is having little accidents all over. She is now very anxious and paces from one door to the next at dawn and dusk when this other cat usually comes around. She goes absolutely mental when this cat comes and takes a long time to settle but. Never completely relaxed. We cannot block her from seeing this other cat as most of our doors are glass and not curtains on all. We are upset to see her so stressed and can we expect to see any improvement or are we now left with an anxious cat for the rest of her life? Example: it is 11.30pm and we have come home from a night out only to be mopping floors as obviously the cat has been back!!! We are sad not to be enjoying the experience of having her with us and a house smelling of cat pee!! Angela Nodwell
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 11 months ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am so sorry to hear about sweet Tigger's condition....this poor gal has been through so much and it is no surprise that she is anxious and afraid. It is good that you are using Feliway but it appears that medication is now the only thing that will get hr past this.

Fluoxetine or Clomipromine will decrease the anxiety that Tigger is experiencing and help stop this inappropriate elimination. Place aluminum foil in the areas where Tigger uses to discourage this. It seems that there is no way for you to control the actions of the other cat but you can ask your vet for this medication to help poor Tigger past this.

This LINK will explain in more detail.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****