William Withers
William Withers,
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian at Banfield Pet Hospital
91423877

I am having a problem with my 2 cats both neutered rufus 9

Customer Question

I am having a problem with my 2 cats both neutered rufus 9 1/2 domestic shorthairs orange and white tabby. And pugzley 6 1/2 domestic short hair. They have always gotten along for the most part, pugzley would try to rough house with him but he would just freak out if he did,rufus was very fat for the last few yrs and lost 8 lbs this summer because he and pugzley were spraying in the house and breaking out screens. So they became indoor outdoor cats. They both became avid hunters and pugzley would stay in the yard and hunt and Rufus would go Into the woods across the street some times he would not come home for 2 or 3 days. By september rufus became skiddish around pugzley a d gis and growl when je saw pugzley In October rufus got attacked by something and got and infection and abscess on his spine by his tail. At this point he started even being freaked out by our old English bulldog Harley 4 1/2. Now pugzley is openly attacking rufus and Rufus freaks out and runs but does not defend himself. I do not know what to do about this and my husband is threatening to get rid of pugzley. Is there something I can do to make this situation better please help!!!!!!
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  William Withers replied 11 months ago.

Hi. Sorry you are having this problem. It's very difficult when everyone isn't getting along. Have you heard of a product called Feliway?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No not that I know of

It is a very safe pheromone product that can help with a variety of behavior issues, including anxiety and aggression. It comes in a variety of forms including plug-ins for wall stickers and sprays. In this case, a collar for the kitty who is the aggressor might help "take the edge off" his aggressive behavior.

I would also recommend looking into one of the all-natural calming treats or supplements which can also limit aggressive or other unwelcome behaviors. These can be found in pet stores or online.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you I will give those ideas a shot I really hope they work. Pugzley is my little cuddle buddy but he has never really conected with the rest of the family. So it is much easier for everyone else to say he has to go. Thank you for your help and ?Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Good luck with it all. Let me know if you have any other questions about this. Take care and Happy Holidays to you too!

I'm just following up on our conversation about Rufus And Pugzley. How is everything going?
William Withers