Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My cats throat is swollen where she is open mouth breathing

Customer Question

Customer: Hi, my cats throat is swollen where she is open mouth breathing with her head up.My vet has given two steroids and convina shots but they are not helping. Im thinking of putting her to sleep but Im wondering if you have any ideas.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: All they have told me is that her throat is swelled almost shut and we have been doctoring two weeks now with no improvment.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Cat Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: ok
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** and I am sorry to hear that your kitty has such a swollen throat. I am going to ask a few more questions to help figure out what is going on:

How old is your kitty?

What does your vet think is wrong with your kitty?

Any other signs of swelling, like in the lymph nodes of the armpits or back of knees?

Any fever? Any other problems (like with the liver or kidneys)? Did your vet run blood work?

Does he go outside? Any possibility of trauma?

Is he still eating and drinking?

Please let me know the answers to these questions so that I can help your kitty tonight.

Best regards,

Dr. Amanda

Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

Good morning. How is your kitty this morning? Is his throat still swollen? Do you have any questions for me?

Dr. A