Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

Our female cat has been missing since the day before

Customer Question

Our female cat has been missing since the day before thanksgiving. Today a neibor several streets away returned from being out of town since then. The heard her and found her trapped in a crawl space / basement beneath thier home. She has had no food or water in 24 days. She is very thin abut seams to be happy to be home. She has been drinking some but not a lot. And we have given her very small portions of food which she eagerly eats. She has been home about 8 hours and has not relieved herself yet. We plan to take her to the vet in the morning. Should we be doing anything differently between now and then?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

First, I am so glad to hear that she was found and still with us.

In regards ***** ***** question, there is no worry if she has not passed urine or feces yet since she will have little to pass at the moment. We likely will see stool in 24 hours since she started eating and urine should be passed as she has fluid to spare.

As well, we'd not panic if she isn't drinking or eating loads. She will have a very shrunken stomach from being starved for so long. So, we need her to take things slow to avoid throwing off her starvation altered electrolytes too quickly. So, we'd just want to offer her small meals of a balanced cat food. You can even offer kitten food. Canned is ideal since it will get water into her as well.

So, it sounds like you are on the right track here. Once her vet checks her, they can give her fluids (under her skin or IV depending on her state) to help get her back on track quicker for us now that she has made it home.

Please take care & best wishes for Girl Kitty,

Dr. B.