Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My male cat is 14 yrs old. He is an indoor cat and eats

Customer Question

My male cat is 14 yrs old. He is an indoor cat and eats well. The vet said he had an abcess tooth in front. His gum is alittle red. They quoted me $450 to pull it. When I called them back to ask for an antibiotic I was told by another Dr. it wouldn't work. The second Dr. said he would do it for $150-200. I guess they wouldn't do alot of extra stuff on the cat. What are my options? What basic procedure can take care of the tooth without costing too much. I can't aford that.
Ann
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Hello again. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your lad's situation, and wanted to help.

First, I would note that an antibiotic would likely help with this abscess; but because the trigger (the compromised tooth) wouldn't be addressed it would likely relapse after treatment was stopped. Therefore, it can be a short term option and perhaps could be an option to use until you could afford dental treatment for him.

Now the reason why the estimates have been costly is because to remove teeth or do any dental work in cats, we need to anesthetize them (since cats won't just hold their mouths open and say "Ahh"). And that won't be something we can humanely get around. Still based on the 2 estimates, it sounds like the first vet may have been also including a scale/polish of the other teeth (to prevent future issues like this), where the less expensive one may just be to remove the tooth alone.

Since there isn't much wiggle room since anesthesia costs are the bulk of both estimates, it may be a case of using antibiotics until you have saved up for the procedure. Or I would just again note the Humane Society's database (http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/resources/tips/trouble_affording_pet.html) and the ASPCA’s (https://www.aspca.org/about-us/faq/financial-help-my-vet-bills) database as potential means of getting this done at a subsidized cost for him.

Please take care & happy holidays,

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.
Hi Tara,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.