petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

My cat been diagnosed with diabetis she is is on 1 unit a

Customer Question

My cat been diagnosed with diabetis she is is on 1 unit a day diagnosed Nov 23,2015. She's had high fever and the last three weeks refuses to eat or drink. Vet told me to force feed her and give her water by syringe unfortunately she's traumatized and won't allow me. She sleeps all the time. Could she had ingested something to cause bowel obstruction? She was so vibrant and active quite worried.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and Babies today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy work with you.

If she has a fever, there is likely something else going on and that is the reason for her not wanting to eat. It could be an inflammatory condition like pancreatitis or it could be a bacterial infection as diabetics are more prone to infections. If she is not eating, she may not need the insulin and she could be hypoglycemic. A bowel obstruction is a possibility, but there are various other possibilities for her refusal to eat or drink. Force feeding is not very effective in cats and your efforts are better spent on trying to find out why she is not wanting to eat so that hopefully it can be corrected.

I would strongly urge you to have her re-evaluated and worked up so that the source of the fever can be identified. In the meantime, perhaps a feeding tube can be placed to allow you to supplement her calorie intake by that means.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.

Dr Z

Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Babies. How is everything going?
Dr. Z.